To make a claim you must complete a claim form and submit it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle you consider at fault.
You find out the identity of the CTP Insurer by calling the Claims Advisory Service on 1300 656 919 giving them the registration details of the vehicle you consider is at fault. They will be able to give you the name and details of the relevant CTP insurer.
You will then need to complete one of two of the following Motor Accident Forms:
- Accident Notification Form – this form allows injured people to claim up to $5000 in respect of medical treatment and lost earnings. This form must be completed within 28 days from the date of an accident.
- Personal Injury Claim Form – if your treatment expenses and loss of earnings will exceed $5000 or your condition has not completely resolved within 6 months from the date of accident you need to complete a Personal Injury Claim Form and forward it to the CTP insurer within 6 months of the accident to receive further compensation.
To make a claim for compensation you need to have undertaken the following:
- Reported the accident to the police within 28 days. If you do not do this you may not be able to make a claim.
- Find out the CTP Insurer of the person that caused the accident. Contact the Motor Accidents Authority on 1300 656 919 and provide the registration number of the vehicle you consider at fault.
- Complete a Personal Injury Claim Form within 6 months from the date of the accident and forward it to the CTP Insurer.
The personal injury claim form can be complex and you may require assistance from a lawyer in completing the claim forms.