What happens after my claim is accepted?

If you receive a Section 81 Notice from the insurer accepting that the driver of their vehicle was at fault then you are entitled to receive compensation as allowed under the Motor Vehicle Accidents Compensation Act (NSW) 1999.

When your condition has stabilised and there is unlikely to be any change in your condition then you can reach a resolution of your claim with the insurance company either by agreement or through a dispute resolution process known as CARS.

You should always seek the assistance of a lawyer when discussing resolution of a claim with a CTP insurer, a lawyer will almost always obtain for you a much greater amount of compensation than you would obtain if you proceeded on your own.

The statistics for 2010 show people who did not have a lawyer received about $11,000 in compensation whist those who did have a lawyer received about $90,000 on average.