What if I have a dispute with the insurer about payment of medical expenses?

If the insurer refuses to pay for medical treatment which you consider are reasonable and necessary you need to make an application to the Medical Assessment Service (MAS) run by the Motor Accidents Authority of NSW.

MAS will allocate the treatment dispute to a medical assessor to resolve the disagreement.

You are likely to be examined by a medical assessor who will review your medical records, examine you and determine whether the treatment you say is reasonable and necessary is required.

A decision by the medical assessor is binding on you and the Insurer.


ou should always have the assistance of a lawyer when challenging an insurers decision to not pay for treatment as this decision may have a significant impact on the whole of the claim and affect how much compensation you will ultimately receive.