What is non-economic loss?

Non-Economic loss is payment of a lump sum amount of compensation for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.

Payment of a lump sum amount is only made to those who have sustained serious injuries in a motor vehicle accident.

You must be assessed by an independent medical assessor as having greater than 10% whole person impairment to receive any compensation for non-economic loss.

You firstly try to agree with the CTP insurer that you exceed the 10% whole person impairment threshold. If you are unable to agree with the insurer, an application is made to the Motor Accident Authority who appoints an independent medical assessor who will review your medical records and examine you to determine of your percentage whole person impairment.

If you are assessed as having a permanent impairment greater than 10% then you are entitled to claim non-economic loss. If you assessment is 10% or less than you are not entitled to any compensation for non-economic loss.

The maximum payment for 100% of the most extreme case of non-economic loss is currently $445,000. You, however, only receive a proportion of that amount having regard to the seriousness of your injuries compared to the seriousness of a most extreme case. Usually most awards of non-economic loss are between $100,000 and 150,000.