CTP Claims

If you are injured in a car accident, you may be able to make a CTP claim to obtain compensation for any injury sustained in the accident. A CTP claim is for personal injury only. Any damage to the car itself is claimed through the other driver’s property motor vehicle insurance or if they don’t hold such insurance, from your own comprehensive motor vehicle insurer.

Steps to make a claim

To make a CTP claim, you will need to follow these simple steps:

  • Obtain the drivers and registration details of the car at fault.
  • Take photos of the accident scene and damage to both vehicles.
  • Record the contact details of any witnesses to the accident.
  • Report the accident to the Police within 28 days and obtain an event number.
  • Do not admit you were at fault and do not blame anyone else of being at fault
  • Visit your doctor for treatment and ensure the doctor records;
    • That the injury was sustained in a motor vehicle accident
    • The body part/s injured in the accident
  • Complete an Accident Notification Form (ANF) within 28 days and send it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle you consider at fault. This covers you for up to $5000.00 worth of initial treatment and lost income. Completing this form is not mandatory.
  • If you have not recovered completely from your injuries within three months, or will incur more than $5,000 in treatment or lost wages or wish to claim for pain and suffering then you will need to complete a Motor Accident Personal Injury Claim form within six months from the date of the accident and send it to the CTP insurer. There are strict time limits so you must comply. This form is mandatory if you wish to make a claim.

Time Limit

You have six months form the date of the accident to complete a Motor Accidents Personal Injury Claim Form. If you don’t complete the form and send it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle you consider at fault within the six months, you may not be able to make a claim.

Other issues

When making your CTP claim, it is important that you:

  • Do not give a statement to an investigator appointed by the insurer without speaking to an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law.
  • Do not settle your claim without consulting an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. Insurers make low initial offers to see if they can resolve claims cheaply.

The CTP claims system in NSW is complex and you should obtain the assistance of a lawyer who is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. You will not have to pay any legal costs until the claim is finalised, and if you do not get compensation you will not be charged legal fees (No Win No Fee).

If you need assistance with the CTP claims process, please do not hesitate to contact our lawyers as follows;

  1. Complete our FREE case assessment form HERE
  2. Email us at info@garlingandco.com.au
  3. Give us a call on (02) 8518 1120