Motorbike Accident Compensation Claims

Unfortunately, riding a motorbike can be dangerous as drivers of cars don’t seem to pay as much care as they should on the road. When you drive a car, you have a deadly weapon in your hands and hitting a motorbike rider or cyclist can cause serious injuries.

If you are injured in a motorbike accident, it can turn your life upside down. If you can’t work due to an injury this can be a scary time. How will you pay the bills? How do you make sure the money still comes in to help with paying for the mortgage, electricity and food for the family?

We can help you make sure you can pay your bills after an injury.

If you or any of your loved ones have sustained an injury in a motorbike accident due to the fault of another driver then you are able to claim compensation for pain and suffering, the cost of medical treatment and loss of income.

If you have had a motorbike accident you need to do the following:

  1. Obtain the contact details of the driver of the vehicle you consider at fault.
  2. Obtain the registration number plate of the vehicle you consider at fault.
  3. Record the contact details of any witnesses to the accident.
  4. Take photographs of the accident scene including the car you consider at fault as well as any damage to your bike (if you are able).
  5. Report the accident to the police within 28 days (if the police do not turn up to the scene of the accident).
  6. See your doctor immediately and make sure the doctor records in his or her notes how the injury occurred and what injuries you have sustained because of the accident.
  7. Complete an Accident Notification Form within 28 days of the date of the accident and send it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle you consider at fault. This covers you for up to $5,000.00 worth of treatment and lost income. * The CTP insurer will pay medical expenses without deciding who was at fault.
  8. If you have not recovered completely from your injuries within three months from the date of the accident or are likely to incur more than $5,000.00 in treatment expenses or lost income then you need to complete a Motor Accident Personal Injury Claim form within six months from the date of the accident and send it to the CTP insurer.
  9. By completing a Personal Injury Claim Form, you may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, future medical treatment, future loss if income and care and assistance.
  10. The Personal Injury Claim Form must be completed within 6 months from the date of the accident. If not, your claim is likely to be rejected by the CTP insurer, you should contact a lawyer if this applies to you.

Details of how to find out the name of the CTP insurer can be obtained from the Motor Accidents Authority of NSW on 1300 656 919.

Even if you don’t know who was at fault or can’t prove the other driver was at fault, you may still be able to make a claim under the “Blameless Motor Vehicle Accident” provisions of the Act. This allows cyclists and pedestrians in particular to claim compensation even when the driver of the motor vehicle was not at fault.

You should contact a Lawyer who is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law about recovering compensation for pain and suffering, the cost of future medical treatment and future loss of income. This will not cost you any money and you may be entitled to thousands of dollars in compensation under the Act.

There are also 2 things you should NOT do after you make a claim:

  1. DO NOT give a statement to an investigator appointed by the CTP insurer without speaking to a lawyer first.
  2. DO NOT settle your claim with the CTP insurer without consulting a lawyer as you will receive a lot less compensation than you are probably entitled to under the Act.

You can receive a no obligation, FREE CASE ASSESSMENT here to see if you have a claim for your motorbike accident.

You can also get further information from our blog posts;

  • How to make a claim under the Motor Accidents Compensation Act NSW
  • What happens after I complete a MVA claim form?

If you need assistance after your motorbike accident, please do not hesitate to contact us our lawyers as follows;

  1. Complete our FREE case assessment form HERE
  2. Email us at
  3. Give us a call on (02) 8518 1120