Motor Vehicle Accident Claim:

  1. Obtain the registration details of the car at fault.
  2. Take photos of the accident scene and damage to both vehicles.
  3. Record the contact details of any witnesses to the accident.
  4. Report the accident to the Police within 28 days and obtain an event number.
  5. Visit your doctor for treatment and ensure the doctor records;
    1. That the injury was sustained in a Motor Vehicle Accident
    2. The body part/s injured in the accident
  6. Complete an Accident Notification Form within 28 days and send it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle you consider at fault*. This covers you for up to $5000.00 worth of treatment and lost income.
  7. If you have not recovered completely from your injuries within 3 months, or have incurred more than $5,000 in treatment or lost wages, then complete a Motor Accident Personal Injury Claim form within 6 months from the date of the accident and send it to the CTP insurer*. There are strict time limits so you must comply.

Obtain the assistance of a lawyer who is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. You will not have to pay any legal costs until after your claim finishes and only if you get compensation.

Do not give a statement to an investigator appointed by the insurer without speaking to an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law.

Do not settle your claim without consulting an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. You will receive much less compensation.

*Claim forms and further information can be found at

For further information call 1300 851 201