WorkCover NSW - What Is It?
The WorkCover Authority of NSW is a statutory authority and is therefore under the control of the NSW State Government. Its primary objective is to achieve safe workplaces and the effective return to work for injured workers.
WorkCover NSW has two main functions:
- To ensure compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Legislation in NSW
- The management of the NSW Workers Compensation system.
Since September 1 2015, these two WorkCover functions have been assumed by three new organisations:
- SafeWork NSW – This is NSW’s primary regulator for workplace health and safety. Their role aims to look after the wellbeing of all workers in NSW, regardless of industry. They also offer licenses and registration for potentially dangerous work and investigate workplace safety offences.
- SIRA – SIRA (State Insurance Regulatory Authority) is the body involved with regulating CTP insurance as a result of a motor accident, workers compensation and home building insurance.
- icare – icare (Insurance and Care NSW) offers insurance and care services in NSW.
As a whole however, WorkCover NSW collects all workers compensation premiums and is the body responsible for payment of workers compensation benefits. It appoints scheme agents (insurance companies such as QBE, Employers Mutual, GIO, etc.) to act as claims handlers on behalf of WorkCover NSW. These scheme agents act as a claims handling agent on behalf of WorkCover NSW. Any benefits which are paid by the scheme are actually paid by WorkCover NSW not the scheme agent.
WorkCover NSW has a supervisory role over the scheme agents and regularly reviews claims to ensure the scheme agents are correctly applying the law.
WorkCover NSW also has a claims advisory service which can be contacted on 13 10 50 to assist injured workers with a claim.
If you would like to find out more about how to make a WorkCover claim in NSW, browse our guide or get in touch with the Garling & Co team via the following:
- Complete our FREE case assessment form HERE
- Email us at email@example.com
- Give us a call on (02) 8518 1120 and talk to our specialised WorkCover lawyers.