Assault Lawyer Sydney

If you are assaulted or sexually assaulted, you may be eligible to make a claim with our assault lawyers for any injury sustained either physical or psychological.

Free Claim Check

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

Sue the person directly for compensation or damages

Can I claim compensation for being assaulted?

You can sue the person directly for compensation or damages if you are the victim of an assault, sexual assault and/or battery. You only need to prove you have sustained some injury because of the assault and/or battery. It is what is called strict liability, you do not need to prove negligence.

There are many scenarios where assaults can occur including the following;

  • Assaulted on the street by stranger
  • Assaulted in a pub or club by another patron or bouncer
  • Assaulted by a family member
  • Assaulted by the police
  • Assaulted whilst at work

Who causes you the injury and where you are assaulted may allow you to claim compensation for any injury sustained.

The torts of Assault and Battery are intentional torts. A tort is a wrong committed by one person against another, causing damage.

Battery involves the intentional physical act upon a person.

Assault is the act of creating apprehension of such contact.


If you are successful, the person who causes you injury must pay the compensation to you. This can be difficult however if the person who injured you does not have any money or assets, there is no point making a claim if you are not able to recover any compensation.

Often however, assaults occur in circumstances where someone else may also be responsible for the assault and battery and be liable to pay you compensation.

For example, if you are assaulted by a Police Officer this is illegal unless the office is carrying out a lawful arrest. The Police have strict rules about when and how they can arrest people. Often these rules are not followed. If you are assaulted and injured by the Police during an unlawful arrest you can claim compensation against the State of NSW.

The other common place people are assaulted are in pubs and nightclubs either by other patrons or security staff. If you are assaulted by another patron, sometimes the club can be found liable for your injuries if the club was on notice that the person was causing problems and they did nothing about removing the person from the premises.

Also, security staff are not allowed to injury you when removing you from premises. If this occurs during the guard’s employment duties his/her employer can be found liable to pay compensation for any injury sustained.

Assault and batteries at work are also common. An employer can sometimes be found liable to pay compensation if the injury happens whilst the assailant is in the course of his/her employment.

It is important to note that each assault case is determined on its individual circumstances and you will need the assistance of an experienced and accredited assault lawyer to obtain advice about a potential claim.

If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us as follows;

  1. Complete our FREE case assessment form HERE
  2. Email us at
  3. Give us a call on (02) 8518 1120

Would you like assistance with your claim?

Complete our free, no obligation confidential case assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Alternatively, we are available to talk through phone and email. Please contact our experienced workers compensation lawyers to find out how we can help.

FREE Confidential Case Appraisal


No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

Maximum Compensation

Our team of expert injury lawyers will help you get maximum compensation.

Dulce L.
08:48 23 Aug 21
Garling & Co have been exceptional. Matthew was always professional attentive clear and concise, I felt up most confidence in his management dealing with my matter always had my best interest. i... highly recommend Garling & Co Lawyersread more
Melissa H
11:53 10 Aug 21
I am grateful to have had Matthew represent me on my motor vehicle compensation claim.After meeting with two lawyers previous to deciding on Garling and co, I was left unsure and confused as to... where I stood regarding my claim. Matthew and Allison were incredibly helpful, put my mind at ease, and took the worry and stress out of an already difficult situation.Through the settlement process they would always keep me informed and made time to answer all of my questions. I am really pleased with the outcome of the settlement.Thank you to the team at Garling and Coread more
Violeta C.
07:30 05 Aug 21
My experience with Garling & Co was great. Matthew was always professional, attentive and communicated in a clear manner. I felt confident in his management of my matter & always had my best interest... in mind.I have no reservation in recommending Matthew & the Garling & Co more
Sonia C.
03:04 05 Aug 21
Ann F.
04:11 04 Aug 21
Professional and helpful
Sunita S.
04:00 04 Aug 21
Overall, I am very happy of their service and also the outcomes of my case.
Glen C.
03:15 04 Aug 21
Mathew was highly personable and easy to talk to .From the outset I had full confidence in his ability and professionalism .Matthew and his team contacted me only as the process required , his... approach was purposeful and effective.I was very pleased with the result.I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone in need of a more
Teresa M.
03:07 04 Aug 21
Fantastic service. Very professional and prompt.
Erin & Tom L.
01:44 04 Aug 21
Matthew and his team were so responsive throughout my entire claim. They made sure everything was explained clearly and always responded promptly to my questions. I can not thank them enough for... their support. I highly recommend their more
Happy S.
23:38 26 Jul 21
Very professional. The team responded quickly, were clear and easy to work with. We would highly recommend to give them a go.
Google Rating