Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Lawyers

If you are injured in a car accident, you may be able to make a CTP claim to obtain compensation for any injury sustained in the accident. A CTP claim is for personal injury only. Any damage to the car itself is claimed through the other driver’s property motor vehicle insurance or if they don’t hold such insurance, from your own comprehensive motor vehicle insurer.

Free Claim Check

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

How to claim CTP

To make a CTP claim, you will need to follow these simple steps:

  • Obtain the drivers and registration details of the car at fault.
  • Take photos of the accident scene and damage to both vehicles.
  • Record the contact details of any witnesses to the accident.
  • Report the accident to the NSW Police within 28 days and obtain an event number. If the Police didn’t attend the scene call them on 131 444 and report the accident and obtain an event number.
  • Do not admit you were at fault and do not blame anyone else of being at fault
  • Visit your doctor for treatment and ensure the doctor records;
    • That the injury was sustained in a car accident
    • The body part/s injured in the accident, even if only minor/ All injuries major or minor should be recorded in the clinical notes.
  • Complete an Application for Personal Injury Benefits within 28 days. This can be found on the SIRA website HERE

Are there time limits when it comes to making a ctp claim?

You have 28 days form the date of the accident to complete the Application for Personal Injury Benefits. If you don’t complete the form with 28 days you can do so up to 3 months late.

You must also notify the Police within 28 days of the car accident and obtain an Event number. If the Police didn’t come to the scene of the accident it can be reported by phone on 131 444.

Other issues

When making your CTP claim, it is important that you:

  • Do not give a statement to an investigator appointed by the insurer without speaking to an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law.
  • Do not settle your claim without consulting an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. Insurers make low initial offers to see if they can resolve claims cheaply.

The CTP claims system in NSW is complex and you should obtain the assistance of a lawyer who is an Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law. You will not have to pay any legal costs until the claim is finalised, and if you do not get the compensation you will not be charged legal fees (No Win No Fee).

If you need assistance with the CTP claims process, please do not hesitate to contact our lawyers as follows;

  1. Complete our FREE case assessment form HERE
  2. Email us at
  3. Give us a call on (02) 8518 1120

Would you like assistance with your claim?

Complete our free, no obligation confidential case assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Alternatively, we are available to talk through phone and email. Please contact our experienced workers compensation lawyers to find out how we can help.

No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

Maximum Compensation

Our team of expert injury lawyers will help you get maximum compensation.

Erin & Tom L.
04:25 21 Sep 21
Matthew and his team were so responsive throughout my entire claim. They made sure everything was explained clearly and always responded promptly to my questions. I can not thank them enough for... their more
Moussa I.
14:23 20 Sep 21
Great attitude! they return my call every time I callI'm very confident I will reach something good with garling &co
Dulce L.
08:48 23 Aug 21
Garling & Co have been exceptional. Matthew was always professional attentive clear and concise, I felt up most confidence in his management dealing with my matter always had my best interest. i... highly recommend Garling & Co Lawyersread more
Melissa H
11:53 10 Aug 21
I am grateful to have had Matthew represent me on my motor vehicle compensation claim.After meeting with two lawyers previous to deciding on Garling and co, I was left unsure and confused as to... where I stood regarding my claim. Matthew and Allison were incredibly helpful, put my mind at ease, and took the worry and stress out of an already difficult situation.Through the settlement process they would always keep me informed and made time to answer all of my questions. I am really pleased with the outcome of the settlement.Thank you to the team at Garling and Coread more
Violeta C.
07:30 05 Aug 21
My experience with Garling & Co was great. Matthew was always professional, attentive and communicated in a clear manner. I felt confident in his management of my matter & always had my best interest... in mind.I have no reservation in recommending Matthew & the Garling & Co more
Sonia C.
03:04 05 Aug 21
Ann F.
04:11 04 Aug 21
Professional and helpful
Sunita S.
04:00 04 Aug 21
Overall, I am very happy of their service and also the outcomes of my case.
Glen C.
03:15 04 Aug 21
Mathew was highly personable and easy to talk to .From the outset I had full confidence in his ability and professionalism .Matthew and his team contacted me only as the process required , his... approach was purposeful and effective.I was very pleased with the result.I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone in need of a more
Teresa M.
03:07 04 Aug 21
Fantastic service. Very professional and prompt.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the scheme for people injured in motor vehicle accidents in NSW?

If you get injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW, you can claim personal injury compensation under the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Scheme. This scheme is governed by the Motor Accident Injuries Act NSW (2017) (MAIA), and SIRA oversees such claims.

SIRA is the statutory corporation that regulates the Motor Accidents Scheme, provides guidelines to insurers for handling of claims and provides dispute resolution assistance between insurers and people injured in motor accidents.

2. What do I do if the insurer asks an investigator to take a Statement from me?

As part of the investigation process, the CTP insurer will appoint an investigator to speak to the drivers of the vehicles and all witnesses. It is likely they will contact you to provide a statement as to the circumstances surrounding the accident and the nature and extent of your injuries.

You should provide a statement to the investigator; however, you should only do so with the assistance of a lawyer. You need to be careful what you say in the Statement as this can be used against you.

The information contained in the statement must be accurate and relevant. Often insurance investigators can put their spin on your words in completing the statement, and you need to be careful with how the statement is worded. If possible, you should have a lawyer assist you in completing any statement provided to the insurer or their investigator.

3. How to claim your ctp green slip refund

A Green Slip is an insurance policy, linked to a motor vehicle that provides compulsory third party (CTP) Personal Injury Insurance. This insurance covers you or the person driving your vehicle if the driver of your vehicle causes injury to someone else.

An injured person claims against the CTP Insurance of the vehicle which they consider caused the accident or if only one vehicle involved the CTP insurance of that vehicle

CTP insurance is compulsory and is taken out when registering a Motor Vehicle in NSW.

CTP insurance does not cover damage to your car or other motor vehicles, and it only covers personal injury.

4. What is the MCIS Levy?

All green slips now show the MCIS (Medical Care and Injury Services) Levy, as a separate item on the green slip.

The levy is payable to fund the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LTCS). The LTCS Scheme provides medical care, treatment, rehabilitation, attendant care to the catastrophically injured in car accidents such as severe spinal cord injury, or traumatic brain injury.

The levy is an additional payment on top of the CTP insurance to cover the care for those people catastrophically injured in Motor Vehicle Accidents.

More Faqs
Google Rating