Workers Compensation Lawyers

Accidents happen in the workplace and our team at Garling & Co specialise in helping people like you claim the workers compensation they deserve. Our expert workers comp lawyers have over 20 years of experience and are Accredited Specialists in Personal Injury Law.

Even if you’re a sub-contractor or worker who’s deemed to be employed, our team will assist you if there’s a claim to be made on your behalf.

Free Claim Check

5-Star Client Rating

You’ll receive outstanding service. We maintain a 5-star client rating.

Free Case Assessments

We provide confidential, free case assessments.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

5-Star Client Rating

You’ll receive outstanding service. We maintain a 5-star client rating.

Free Case Assessments

We provide confidential, free case assessments.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

We specialise in Workers Compensation Claims

What is workers compensation?

All employers are required by law to have workers compensation insurance. This insurance provides compensation to employees who get injured at work. The benefits available to injured employees under workers compensation are determined by the Workers Compensation Act (NSW 1987) and the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act (NSW 1998).

The acts also outlines the rights and responsibilities of both the injured worker and the employer to ensure the injured worker receives their benefits and assistance to recover and return safely to work.

Why choose us for your workers compensation claim?

At Garling & Co, we’re here to take you through the process honestly, without leaving you in the dark. Before anything begins, our team will help you determine if you have a workers compensation claim and explain what’s required to make one. We’ll let you know exactly what kind of compensation you’re entitled to and if successful, how long the claim will take.

With Garling & Co, you’ll have expertise on your side. We offer:

  • Outstanding service, with a 5-start client rating
  • Confidential, free case assessments
  • Legal costs and disbursements paid by WIRO
  • A team of industry experts, with over 20 years experience
  • Award winning compensation lawyers

What are the benefits of a successful workers compensation claim?

While the claims process may seem overwhelming, our specialist workers comp lawyers won’t stop fighting to protect you and your family’s future. If you’re eligible for workers compensation in NSW, the benefits may include:

  • Your reasonable and necessary medical expenses
  • Payment of weekly compensation if you cannot work
  • Work Injury Damages if the whole person impairment resulting from the injury is at least 15%
  • Lump-sum benefits if you have suffered a whole person permanent impairment as a result of your injuries

We win our clients the workers compensation payments they deserve

Handling workers compensation claims can be complex and requires the upmost expertise to ensure success.

The team at Garling & Co has built a reputation on winning clients the workers compensation payments they deserve. Take a look at our proven track record in winning our clients huge workers compensation claims.

Claims Case Studies

Would you like assistance with your claim?

Complete our free, no obligation confidential case assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Alternatively, we are available to talk through phone and email. Please contact our experienced workers compensation lawyers to find out how we can help.

FREE Confidential Case Appraisal


No Win No Fee

You won’t be required to pay any fees until we win your case.

Industry Experts

We’re industry experts with over 20 years of experience.

Maximum Compensation

Our team of expert injury lawyers will help you get maximum compensation.

Erin & Tom L.
04:25 21 Sep 21
Matthew and his team were so responsive throughout my entire claim. They made sure everything was explained clearly and always responded promptly to my questions. I can not thank them enough for... their more
Moussa I.
14:23 20 Sep 21
Great attitude! they return my call every time I callI'm very confident I will reach something good with garling &co
Dulce L.
08:48 23 Aug 21
Garling & Co have been exceptional. Matthew was always professional attentive clear and concise, I felt up most confidence in his management dealing with my matter always had my best interest. i... highly recommend Garling & Co Lawyersread more
Melissa H
11:53 10 Aug 21
I am grateful to have had Matthew represent me on my motor vehicle compensation claim.After meeting with two lawyers previous to deciding on Garling and co, I was left unsure and confused as to... where I stood regarding my claim. Matthew and Allison were incredibly helpful, put my mind at ease, and took the worry and stress out of an already difficult situation.Through the settlement process they would always keep me informed and made time to answer all of my questions. I am really pleased with the outcome of the settlement.Thank you to the team at Garling and Coread more
Violeta C.
07:30 05 Aug 21
My experience with Garling & Co was great. Matthew was always professional, attentive and communicated in a clear manner. I felt confident in his management of my matter & always had my best interest... in mind.I have no reservation in recommending Matthew & the Garling & Co more
Sonia C.
03:04 05 Aug 21
Ann F.
04:11 04 Aug 21
Professional and helpful
Sunita S.
04:00 04 Aug 21
Overall, I am very happy of their service and also the outcomes of my case.
Glen C.
03:15 04 Aug 21
Mathew was highly personable and easy to talk to .From the outset I had full confidence in his ability and professionalism .Matthew and his team contacted me only as the process required , his... approach was purposeful and effective.I was very pleased with the result.I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone in need of a more
Teresa M.
03:07 04 Aug 21
Fantastic service. Very professional and prompt.

Frequently Asked Question

1. How do I make a worker’s compensation claim?

If you have sustained an injury in the course of employment, you must undertake the following steps:

Step 1.    Notify the employer of the injury as soon as possible
Step 2.    Record the injury in the employer’s register of injuries
Step 3.    Obtain a Work Cover Medical Certificate of Capacity from your general practitioner or hospital
Step 4.    Notify the insurer of the injury (get the insurer’s details from your employer who must provide the name when requested)
Step 5.    Ensure that the Work Cover Certificate of Capacity and all Medical bills or expenses are given to the employer and a copy to the insurer

Once the scheme agent/insurer has been notified of an injury, the following will occur:

  • The insurer will contact the worker and employer;
  • The insurer will review the claim and commence provisional liability payments which must start within 7 days of receiving notification of the injury

If the insurer has a reasonable excuse not to commence provisional liability payments, the insurer must notify the worker within 7 days of receiving the notification of injury.

A claim form is only required if:

  • The insurer has a reasonable excuse not to commence provisional liability payments
  • Weekly payments exceed the 12-week provisional liability period
  • Provisional expenses exceed $7500, and there is not sufficient information to determine ongoing liability
  • The injury has been notified, but there is insufficient information to determine liability

2. Is there a time limit for making a worker’s compensation claim?

A claim for Workers Compensation should be made as soon as possible following an injury or otherwise within 6 months of the injury, accident, or death.

If there is a failure to claim within 6 months and that failure is the result of ignorance, common mistake, or absence from the State, then a claim for workers compensation can still be made.

If the claim is not made within 3 years of the date of injury, accident, or death, then the claim cannot be made unless the injury resulted in the death or serious injury of the worker.

3. How can I claim workers compensation?

Claiming for workers compensation is quite simple.

If you believe you were injured while at work, then to claim compensation, you need to see your general practitioner and obtain a WorkCover Certificate of Capacity. The form that your doctor completes certifies that you have sustained an injury in the course of your employment, the type of injury, and whether you are unfit or partially fit for work. This certificate needs to submit to your employer. Your employer is then required to forward a copy to the workers compensation insurer to commences your claim.

4. What can I claim under workers compensation?

Once you have provided a copy of the medical certificate to your employer, the insurer will decide within 7 days if they accept your claim. Once the claim has is accepted, the insurer can pay compensation in the form of:

  • Weekly payments of compensation for loss of income.
  • Payment of all medical expenses.
  • Lump sum compensation for permanent impairment.
  • Potential claim for damages if the negligence of your employer caused your injury.

If the claim gets declined, they need to provide written notice of the reasons why it has been declined and provide a copy of any documents they rely upon in making that decision. This is called a S.78 Notice.

5. Do I need to pay legal costs in workers compensation claims?

The simple answer is no. The NSW Government has adopted a legal aid type scheme known as ILARS. This service pays for all legal costs associated with making a worker’s compensation claim. Your lawyer will make an application to ILARS for funding to pay for your legal costs.

More Faqs

Find out more about Workers Compensation

Google Rating