Nurse Compensation | Accidents At Work

If you are injured while working as a nurse or aged care worker, you should immediately seek medical assistance. You are also likely to be entitled to claim workers compensation.

You need to obtain a medical Certificate of Capacity from your general practitioner of the hospital and provide it to your employer as soon as possible. This certificate is medical evidence of your injury and, or illness

Free Case appraisal

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

5-Star Client


Free Case

Industry Experts: 20+ years of experience

No Win No Fee Guaranteed

Nurses and Aged Care Workers injuries are common

What do I do when I get injured while working as a nurse or aged care worker?

Your employer is required to forward the medical certificate to the workers compensation insurer.

Nurses and aged care workers in situations that can cause physical injuries. Common injuries to nurses and aged care nurses include:

  1. Patient handling – nurses and aged care workers are often injured when they are required to lift, transfer, or reposition patients and, or equipment.
  2. Slips, trips, and falls – nurses or aged care workers may slip and fall on uneven surfaces, wet floors, or medical devices.
  3. Workplace violence – nurses and aged care workers can be exposed to acts or threats of violence, harassment, and intimidation, and this can, unfortunately, lead to injury.
  4. Lifting and bending – nurses and aged care workers are required to lift and bend throughout the course of their shifts and often suffer injuries to the spine.
  5. Psychological injuries – nurses and aged care workers often face traumatic situations, which can lead to developing post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety.

Can I sue for negligence?

If you have sustained an injury as a nurse or aged care worker, then you may have a right to claim common law damages against your employer. This claim is known as Work Injury Damages claim. A Work Injury Damages claim is when an injured worker sues their employer for damages due to negligence. This claim is to cover past and future loss of income.

To be able to claim Work Injury Damages, the injury must be as a result of the negligence of your employer, and you must have a whole person impairment of at least 15%. You will need the assistance of an experienced lawyer to make this type of claim.

What is the claim process?

  1. If you think you may have a claim, then please contact us by email or phone to discuss your matter. We provide you with free advice on your options.
  2. If we believe you have a claim for workers compensation, we will assist in ensuring you obtain appropriate compensation for your injuries.
  3. We obtain the necessary evidence to win your claim. This is done by one of our experienced injury lawyers.
  4. We pursue your claim and fight until you receive the compensation you deserve.
  5. You receive your compensation in your bank account.

Would you like assistance with your claim?

Complete our free, no obligation confidential case assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Alternatively, we are available to talk through phone and email. Please contact our experienced workers compensation lawyers to find out how we can help.

FREE Confidential Case Appraisal


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What will it cost me?

There are no upfront legal fees payable in workers compensation matters. We provide free advice to see if you have a claim. If you do have a claim, then workers compensation costs are covered by a Government scheme, like legal aid, known as ILARS. This scheme will fund the payment of your legal costs and disbursements.

2. Why Garling & Co Lawyers?

Garling & Co Lawyers are one of NSW’s leading work-related injury law firms and have experienced lawyers acting on behalf of nurses and aged care workers injured on site. We have a 98% success rate and will assist you through the whole claims process.

More Faqs

Find out more about accident compensation in your industry

Find out more about Workers Compensation

Google Rating